The SSD being the recently used technology in most of the computer companies has its shortages and needs utmost care. This is to make sure that the performance of the SSD is to its maximum. The SSD is delicate and at the same time it is expensive. The Solid states are the exact opposite of the HDD in both handling and performance. The HDD use mechanical components that can be touched unlike the SSD.
Our company sells and repairs computer devices, most importantly we also offer tips on how to go along with the devices in maintenance. We don’t want to beat up and fight the competition on how they’re coming up with providing more and more speed to your computers. If you are those wild people who are constantly exploring what your device contains by opening them up, it will be very important for you to go through these few tips that I am offering you in order to save money.
- When we delete files, most of the file are send to the recycle been whereby they can be recovered. We should make sure that you overwrite the files so that you can have more available space. It is important to know that in SSD, files once deleted are not recoverable. This is usually in the devices that support TRIM where the OS informs the SSD that the file was deleted with a TRIM command where it is immediately erased. This means that you should not delete files anyhow if you know that you might want to recover them sometime later on.
- You should always make sure that the SSD has a lot of space. This means that you should not fill up the SSD for this will reduce its performance and speed. When you try to save or write a file in a little memory disk, the SSD will try to look for the partially filled blocks so that it could fill up the cache and then incorporate the new date into one file. I would recommend you to use up 75% of the SSD so as to maintain a good balance between performance and speed.
- You should minimize overwriting constantly on the device. I would personally recommend that you have an external hard drive that you can write your files there. This will help in increasing and maintaining the speed of your computer for a long time. This will also increase the SSD’s life. You can also try to avoid applications that are constantly writing on your SSD for this makes the drive performance to slow down. If you don’t have an external hard drive for the applications to write their files there, you will be forced to constantly deleting the written files on the SSD.
- Storing of infrequently accessed files on your file still slows down your SSD performance. Reduction of the amount of files stored on your SSD will lead to less power consumption and the performance of the device will be maintained at a constant speed. You should not store media files in the SSD for these are files that you will need them but not a daily routine. The ideal files to keep on your SSD will include programs, operating system files and even games for they are constantly being accessed at any time.
- You should not at any time try to defrag solid state drives for the have a limited number writes. This is because when defragging, files are move from one place to another severally of which it will end the life of the SSD. The SSD is made in a way that it will not require defragmentation for the files are moved around evenly thus reducing the wear effect.
I hope that we have been helpful and you should be free to check out other tips from our website so as to be on the safe side.